The Constance and London based Kraus Schönberg Architects realised this new built extension of a Victorian warehouse building in ‘Little Germany’, a particular historical area in in central Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Here is what the architects expalin:
“The formation of Bradford’s Little Germany took place in various stages. This can be seen in the different sizes of the warehouses.
Starting with two to three storey buildings in the early 1830s, the trend changed towards grander structures in the late 1850s. Tayson House was built around 1870 and it’s four floors have a two storey neighbour.”
“The new infill structure tries to mediate between the two historical buildings, making a clear statement in its own time – the present.
The new extension is hung from a steel frame creating a minimal interface with the existing buildings. By creating its own architectural language the glass, galvanised steel and timber structure can be seen as a separate entity. This allows a continuation of the industrial character of Little Germany and helps regenerating the area.”