Posts tagged as 'facade'
The Waterhouse in Shanghai by Neri & Hu Design and Research Office, photo by Derryck Menere
This successful conversion of a 1930s Japanese Army headquarter into a 19-room boutique hotel, located at the new Cool Docks development on the South Bund District of Shanghai, was realised by the locally based Neri & Hu Design and Research Office. The architectural concept behind NHDRO’s renovation rests on a clear contrast of what is old and new.
Office Building Audenasa by VAILLO + IRIGARAY, photo by Jose Manuel Cutillas
The Navarra based architectural practice VAILLO + IRIGARAY realised this office building for Audenasa, a Spanish motorway company. The drawn-out complex, built on stilts, is characterised by a finned corten steel facade along the street-facing frontage. The remaining shady facade is made from used care tires behind a metal fence.
Wacotech facade, Kunstschule Waiblingen
The German company Wacotech is specialised in translucent materials for different architectural application areas. The facade system the Stuttgart based Hartwig Schneider Architekten used for the new building of the art school in Waiblingen consists of insulating firgured glass elements by Wacotech. The outer single-leaf figured glass mantle serves as sun and waether protection, together with the inner rear ventilated cover it forms the climatic buffer. The inner two-leaf figured glass mantle which contents the insulating material TIMax GL builds the insulating building closure.
'Q1' ThyssenKrupp Quartier in Essen / Germany by JSWD Architekten, photo by Christian Richters
The Cologne based practice JSWD Architekten recently unveiled the new office building for the global integrated materials and technology group ThyssenKrupp AG in Essen / Germany. The 54 metres high ‘Q1′ forms with its expressive shape the heart of the new campus.
'Family Box' by crossboundaries architects, photo by Chaoying Yang
crossboundaries architects is a young, Berlin and Beijing based team of international architects, established in 2005. Recently they completed this play school in Beijing, located at the outer corner of a park, placed in a natural environment. The building is a mixure of an indoor playground and a kindergarten for children up to twelve years old and hosts different kinds of activities – from swimming, playing games to various classes ranging from music, dancing, crafting to cooking.
Museum aan de Stroom by Neutelings Riedijk Architecten, photo by Sarah Blee
The Rotterdam based practice Neutelings Riedijk Architecten recently unveiled the new Museum aan de Stroom in Antwerp, located in the centre of the old harbour district, the most important and biggest city renovation project in the centre of Antwerp. This district was originally called ‘Nieuwstad (New City)’, as it was the first city expansion constructed by land speculator and urban developer Gilbert van Schoonbeke (1519-1556) outside the Spanish fortress belt in the sixteenth century. Today, old warehouses are being converted into lofts everywhere, and new apartment buildings such as the Koninklijk Entrepot by Berlin architect Hans Kolhoff, the residential towers by Swiss architects Diener en Diener and the towers by David Chipperfield and Guyer en Gigon, as well as many projects yet to follow, are being erected.
Taastrup Theatre by COBE Copenhagen
The Danish architectural practice COBE recently unveiled this extension of the 1970s local community theatre, situated in a social housing neighborhood of Taastrup closed to Copenhagen. First the architects were commissioned to improve the energy consumption of the building but they used this opportunity to improve the general appeal and functionality of the building by introducing a second (isolating) theatre curtain around the rough concrete structure.
'Haus Sagengüetli' by Architekturbüro Herbert Bruhin, photo by Peter Tillessen, Zürich
This classical and elegant single family home in the mountainous canton of Glarus in Switzerland was planned and realised by the Swiss architectural practice around Herbert Bruhin. The consistent anthracite cladding is made from 20 cm wide tinted Eternit panels mounted on a ventilated metal construction. Build on alluvial soil close to the village’s brook the two storey house is set on a 70cm high base which also forms a L-shaped terrace.