Posts tagged as 'church'
Posted by Walter Phillips on 03.09.2013 - Tagged as: church, John Pawson
Church of St Moritz refurbishment by John Pawson Architects
In 2009 John Pawson Architects were awarded the contract to undertake a vast refurbishment project of the Church of St Moritz (founded in 1019) with the main aim to bring clarity and light to the church whilst respecting the work of previous architects and their vision.
Church of Sant Francesc Conven by David Closes Arquitecte; photo by Jordi Surroca
Manresa-based architectural practice David Closes Arquitecte have realised this striking conversion of a dilapidated, early 18th century church located in the Catalan city of Santpedor. Completed earlier in 2011, ‘the project was aimed to convert the church into an auditorium and a multifunctional cultural facility’ and features a number of new, contrasting elements such as glass-clad staircase and ramps. (more…)
House in a church by Ruud Visser. Architect.; photo by René de Wit
Dutch practice Ruud Visser. Architect. has given this 1930’s wooden church a new lease of life by converting it into a a luxurious single-family house. Located along the river De Rotte in Rotterdam, the church has been transformed by Ruud Visser Architects and Peter Boer who created a ‘house-within’ structure which allowed to preserve some of the chapel’s original features such wood-panneled ceilings and ‘leaded light’ windows while enabling the owners to ‘walk around the new house, while walking inside the church’. (more…)
Posted by Malgorzata Stankiewicz on 19.05.2011 - Tagged as: church, France, Mathieu Lehanneur
Eglise St Hilaire by Mathieu Lehanneur; photo by Felipe Ribon
Parisian architect and designer Mathieu Lehanneur has completed the conversion of the choir at St Hilaire Church in the city of Melle located in Poitou-Charentes region in western France. The organic, layered white marble design reminiscent of a stratigraphic form takes its cue from the sedimentary formation and references the church’s location on the slope of the Beronne valley. (more…)
'Santa Ana's Chapel' by e|348 arquitectura, photo by Fernando Guerra
The Portoguese practice e|348 arquitectura realised this chapel, including the interiors, furniture and landscape design, for the community of Santa Maria da Feira, a small town in the North of their home country. ‘Santa Ana’s Chapel’ forms the center of the Santa Ana’s festivities, occurring in July 26th every year.
Tampa Covenant Church by Alfonso Architects, photo by Al Hurley
This church in Tampa, Florida was recently completed by the US based Alfonso Architects. In order to achieve a consistent complex and establish an intimate church campus two existing buildings needed to be renovated and adapted and a redesign of the site’s infrastructure was required.
Chapel of the Assumption by John Doe, photo by Felipe Ribon
The French designers Grégory Lacoua and Jean Sébastien Lagrange – together they are John Doe Studio – recently unveiled the new interior design for the 16th century Chapel of the Assumption in Paris. While the French architects of 3Box realised the architectural conversion of the building John Doe Studio tackled liturgical furniture: pews, prie-dieu, altar, font, tabernacle and lectern.
Chapel of St.Lawrence by Avanto Architects, photo by Tuomas Uusheimo
Recently the Finnish Avanto Architects completed the impressive Chapel of St.Lawrence for the Parish Union in Vantaa, a city north of Helsinki. The chapel which includes the old stone church with its bell tower is characterised by a range of exquisit materials that correspond with the old structures in the area, such as the lightly plastered and whitewashed masonry walls or the roof of patinated copper.