After more than three years construction time today the new Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm Center in Berlin – Germany’s biggest open access library – will be opened. The library of Berlin’s Humboldt University was designed by the Berlin, Franfurt and Zürich based Max Dudler Architects.
The Jura-marble façade, which quotes the typology of a book shelf, represents the inner function of the rather classic, geometric building and also refers to a draft of Friedrich Schinkel from 1833 who has been working on a University Library.
The central reading hall is the building’s core. With its strict symmetry and impressive galleries it creates a common culture space in the sense of the “old library”.
Design Team: Max Dudler, Andreas Enge, Jochen Soydan (project management) Andrea Deckert, Gesine Gummi
Client: Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
User: ZE University Library, ZE Computer and Media Service
Construction period: 06/2006 – 10/2009
Main usable floor space: 20.300 m2
Gross Floor Area: 38.300 m2
Gross Cubic Volume: 144.000 m3
Site area: 6.673 m2
Photographer: Stefan Müller
Partners: ProCon Ingenieursgesellschaft mbH, Zibell, Willner + Partner VBI, GmbH, Döpping Widell Dipl.-Ing- Architekten, Müller BBM Brandschutz GmbH